Car insurance for Gran Canaria residents
Car insurance in Spain is pretty much the same as in the UK, you get basic and fully comprehensive insurance and a variety of policies in between. The only main difference is that roadside assistance is included as part of your policy as standard so you don’t need to then buy AA or RAC cover.
There are many insurance companies, but you rarely get the bargains you can pick up on the internet in the UK. You also have to pay for your insurance annually or every six months.
Due to bitter experience, we’d advise being careful with the cheapest quotes on the market as they always seem to include a catch. For example, some cheap quotes are cheap because you have to pay for any repairs and then claim the money back from the insurer (which can take months). Read this for a first person account of Gran Canaria car insurance problems.
Here’s a good place to start if you want quality car insurance in Gran Canaria with English-language support and excellent coverage.
Contact Caser Expats Insurance
We advise all Gran Canaria residents to contact Caser Expats Insurance as they offer up to 50% discounts to expats (on standard prices for Spanish drivers).
Think of it as a bonus for knowing how to use roundabouts.
Caser has an office in Las Palmas and another in San Fernando, so you know always know that you can talk to a real person.
Even with the discount, Caser Expats are not the cheapest car insurers on the market in Gran Canaria, but they do offer a series of heavy-duty benefits that make their annual policies worthwhile.
- You can choose which garage fixes your car and even take it to the official brand garage (great service but high prices).
- Roadside assistance 365 days of the years from the day you sign your policy.
- Complete coverage for all mechanical and electrical faults no matter what they cost to fix.
- Legal support in the case of a claim against a third-party.
- Financial support if you lose your license and need to do a course to recover it
- 100% of replacement costs for your vehicle (in the case of damage, fire or theft) for the first two years after it is registered, and 120% during the third year.
- 60% no-claims-bonus when you renew your annual policy.
- Global travel insurance.
Get a quote from Caser Expats by filling in the form at the bottom of the page. Their English-speaking, resident brokers will contact you straight away.